Assistive technologies and their incidence on healthcare are addressed and analysed. Main objective of the course is focused on the use of appropiate technologies depending on people needs and their environment. Emphasys will be on the improvement in the quality of life of affected people.
Person in charge
Joan Cabestany Moncusi (
Andreu Catala Mallofre (
Generic Technical Competences
CG1 - Capability to plan, design and implement products, processes, services and facilities in all areas of Artificial Intelligence.
CG3 - Capacity for modeling, calculation, simulation, development and implementation in technology and company engineering centers, particularly in research, development and innovation in all areas related to Artificial Intelligence.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
CEA10 - Capability to understand advanced techniques of Human-Computer Interaction, and to know how to design, implement and apply these techniques in the development of intelligent applications, services or systems.
CEA12 - Capability to understand the advanced techniques of Knowledge Engineering, Machine Learning and Decision Support Systems, and to know how to design, implement and apply these techniques in the development of intelligent applications, services or systems.
CEP3 - Capacity for applying Artificial Intelligence techniques in technological and industrial environments to improve quality and productivity.
CEP4 - Capability to design, write and report about computer science projects in the specific area of ??Artificial Intelligence.
CEP6 - Capability to assimilate and integrate the changing economic, social and technological environment to the objectives and procedures of informatic work in intelligent systems.
CEP7 - Capability to respect the legal rules and deontology in professional practice.
CT3 - Ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team, as a normal member or performing direction tasks, in order to develop projects with pragmatism and sense of responsibility, making commitments taking into account the available resources.
Appropiate attitude towards work
CT5 - Capability to be motivated for professional development, to meet new challenges and for continuous improvement. Capability to work in situations with lack of information.
CT6 - Capability to evaluate and analyze on a reasoned and critical way about situations, projects, proposals, reports and scientific-technical surveys. Capability to argue the reasons that explain or justify such situations, proposals, etc..
Analisis y sintesis
CT7 - Capability to analyze and solve complex technical problems.
A specific objective will be the specification and analysis of a health service based on technology use (functionality, patient/user perspective, requirements...)
Acquiring correct skills on Assistive technologies
Methodology will be mainly based on two different activities: theory sessions and practical sessions. Both will be developed with the active participation of the students.
The schem for the theory sessions will be:
- Plenary conferences given by the teacher
- Self-study sessions done by the students on a related topic
- Students presentations about the conclusions on the topic (presentations will be part of the evaluation activities)
Practical aspect will follow a Project Based Learning approach:
1.The student should do a literature review of the field, detecting the most important research groups, patents and projects in his area of interest
2.Design of a real project based on a use case
3.Detailed analysis of the most convenient architecture and algorithmia.
4.Technologies and innovative aspects of the proposed solution
A presentation of the final project will be part of the evaluation process
Evaluation will be according the implemented methodology for the course. The student will get a FINAL MARK mainly based on a continous evaluation scheme. A personal Final Exam based on theory aspects will be done, with a specific weight in the Final Mark.
Final Mark = 0,4 PROJECT evolution mark + 0,3 PROJECT final assessment + 0,15 Presentation and reporting of theory sessions + 0,15 Final Exam mark.
- The evolution of the project will be based on a number of scheduled sessions that will be evaluated by the professors and the students (some of them)
- The final assessment of the Project will be done in a public presentation session at the end of the semester. This session will be evaluated by the professors and the students. Students will be asked to submitt a complete report of the Project that will be evaluated by the professors, but will be available to all the students for their information.
- After some specific theory sessions, the students will be asked to prepare a related subjet that they will present to the audience. The professors and the students will evaluate this session (with different weights in the marks) and a report will be submitted after this presentation. Professors will consider these reports in the professors' evaluation.
- In the final exam, the student will be asked to answer some specific questions related to the theory aspects developed along the course.
The contents of the course is mantained, but some analysis of the incidence of the pandemic situation and post-covid19 scenario should be included in the syllabus.
No main changes are proposed. The actual methodology will be applied and a balance between theory and practical (personal/group project) aspects are carefully considered.
Evaluation is based on four main aspects: Project evolution and development, Final project presentation, Work done on complementary theory proposed topics and a Final Exam.
Some contingency aspects, derived from a new Covid19 pandemia, are detailed in the following section.
In case of a new pandemia of Covid19, affecting the regular development of the academic activity, some aspects should be modified in the frame of the actual semester constraints:
- Theory sessions could be done in a telematic way. All the sessions will be based on documented material, with extra-support material and audio material as a complement.
- The required presentations to be done by the students (concerning the theory related topics and the evolution of the projects work) could be done in a telematic way. In the limit situation, in some cases, when required the presentation would be changed by a more extended report.
- As a contingency plan, the development of the Final Exam would follow the indications of the Faculty at the given moment.
If it is the case, an appropiate contact/mechanism of active communication with the professors would be organized and announced.
Where we are
B6 Building Campus Nord
C/Jordi Girona Salgado,1-3
08034 BARCELONA Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 401 70 00