The course is focused on the development of an information technology project. In the first phase, the project proposal is elaborated and laboratory assignments are carried out. In the second phase, the project is developed in group, to present results and conclusions to the class at the end of the course.
Person in charge
Felix Freitag (
Ruben Tous Liesa (
G5 - To be capable to work as a team member, being just one more member or performing management tasks, with the finality of contributing to develop projects in a pragmatic way and with responsibility sense; to assume compromises taking into account the available resources.
- To identify the roles, skills and weaknesses of the different members of the group. To propose improvements in the group structure. To interact with efficacy and professionalism. To negotiate and manage conflicts in the group. To recognize and give support or assume the leader role in the working group. To evaluate and present the results of the tasks of the group. To represent the group in negotiation involving other people. Capacity to collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment. To know and apply the techniques for promoting the creativity.
Entrepreneurship and innovation
G1 - To know and understand the organization of a company and the sciences which govern its activity; capacity to understand the labour rules and the relation between planning, industrial and business strategies, quality and benefit. To develop creativity, entrepreneur spirit and innovation tendency.
- To have initiatives which generate opportunities, new objects or solutions, with a process and market implementation vision, and to imply other team members in projects which have to be developed (capacity to perform autonomously).
Effective oral and written communication
G4 - To communicate with other people knowledge, procedures, results and ideas orally and in a written way. To participate in discussions about topics related to the activity of a technical informatics engineer.
- To communicate clearly and efficiently in oral and written presentations about complex topics, becoming adapted to the situation, the type of audience and the communication goals, using the strategies and the adequate means. To analyse, value and respond adequately to the questions of the audience.
Common technical competencies
CT2 - To use properly theories, procedures and tools in the professional development of the informatics engineering in all its fields (specification, design, implementation, deployment and products evaluation) demonstrating the comprehension of the adopted compromises in the design decisions.
- To design, develop, select and evaluate computer applications, systems and services and, at the same time, ensure its reliability, security and quality in function of ethical principles and the current legislation and normative.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the needed tools for storage, processing and access to the information system, even if they are web-based systems.
CT3 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the organizational, economic and legal context where her work is developed (proper knowledge about the company concept, the institutional and legal framework of the company and its organization and management)
- To demonstrate knowledge about the ethical dimension of the company: in general, the social and corporative responsibility and, concretely, the civil and professional responsibilities of the informatics engineer.
CT6 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension about the internal operation of a computer and about the operation of communications between computers.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to manage and maintain computer systems, services and applications.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the characteristics, functionalities and structure of the Distributed Systems and Computer and Internet Networks guaranteeing its use and management, as well as the design and implementation of application based on them.
CT7 - To evaluate and select hardware and software production platforms for executing applications and computer services.
- To demonstrate knowledge about metrics of quality and be able to use them.
- To evaluate hardware/software systems in function of a determined criteria of quality.
- To determine the factors that affect negatively the security and reliability of a hardware/software system, and minimize its effects.
CT8 - To plan, conceive, deploy and manage computer projects, services and systems in every field, to lead the start-up, the continuous improvement and to value the economical and social impact.
- To identify current and emerging technologies and evaluate if they are applicable, to satisfy the users needs.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
Information technology specialization
CTI1 - To define, plan and manage the installation of the ICT infrastructure of the organization.
- To select, deploy, integrate and manage information system which satisfy the organization needs with the identified cost and quality criteria.
- To select, design, deploy, integrate, evaluate, build, manage, exploit and maintain the hardware, software and network technologies, according to the adequate cost and quality parameters.
CTI2 - To guarantee that the ICT systems of an organization operate adequately, are secure and adequately installed, documented, personalized, maintained, updated and substituted, and the people of the organization receive a correct ICT support.
- To administrate and maintain applications, computer systems and computer networks (the knowledge and comprehension levels are described in the common technical competences).
- To demonstrate comprehension, apply and manage the reliability and security of the computer systems (CEI C6).
CTI3 - To design solutions which integrate hardware, software and communication technologies (and capacity to develop specific solutions of systems software) for distributed systems and ubiquitous computation devices.
- To conceive systems, applications and services based on network technologies, taking into account Internet, web, electronic commerce, multimedia, interactive services and ubiquitous computation.
- To implement and manage ubiquitous systems (mobile computing systems).
- To design, establish and configure networks and services.
Apply knowledge acquired in previous courses in drafting the proposal for a project of information technology and during its development, selecting applications, systems and appropriate services.
Design, implementation and integration of hardware resources, software and networks in the development of a information technology project.
Managing a project (planning, monitoring, evaluating).
Evaluate and select hardware and software platforms for running applications and computer services.
Systems, applications and services based on network technologies, taking into account the Internet, Web, e-commerce, multimedia, interactive services and ubiquitous computing.
Features and structure of distributed systems (inter-process communication, consistency and replication, fault tolerance and reliability, efficient management of resources, processing, storage and network and power / consumption).
Develop a written project proposal and a presentation with slides. A structure with an index that can help organize the proposal is provided, including technical description of the organization (starting point, objectives, tasks, results, distribution, roles, Gantt) Objectives:71 Contents:
Final Project Presentation Objectives:87234156 Week:
The teaching methodology applied is project-based learning, in which is in a group a project is developped during several weeks.
The work is focused on the activity of students, preparing individual and tasks in groups of 2 in the laboratory assignments and in groups of 4 in the the project.
The course is organized in a first phase of about 6 weeks with to several laboratory assignments and group work, and a second phase consisting of about 9 weeks in the development of a project group.
The practices of the first phase address separately how to install, configure, adapt and extend applications and systems of information technology. In the first phase a project proposal is elaborated (integration of concepts), consisting of the preparation, negotiation and writing of the project proposal (groups of 4 people negotiate with the teacher the project content in a structured and no class attending requiring form).
In the second phase, in groups of 4 people the students will define a project of information technology to develop and test for several weeks and to present the findings and conclusions to the whole class at the end of the course.
The main activities are:
- Classes participatory and group work.
- Laboratory assignments (groups of 2 people).
- Preparation of project proposal (group, semi).
- Development and presentation of a project (group of 4 people)
Marks of technical skills:
NF = 0,25 * PG + 0,60 * PR + 0,15 * SEG
NF = Final mark of the course
PG = Guided laboratories
PR = Project
SEG = Participation
NCT1 = Transversal skill INNOVATION AND BUSINESS
NCT2 = Transversal skill EFFECTIVE ORAL AND WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
NCT3 = Transversal skill TEAMWORK
PG = Guided laboratories (aspects related to the skills)
PR = Project (aspects related to the skills)
SEG = Participation (aspects related to the skills)
Be normalized to A, B, C or D (where A corresponds to a level excelent, B corresponds to a desired level, C corresponds to a sufficient level and D corresponds to an insufficient level).