This course introduces the students to the basics of operating system administration. The focus resides, among others, in solving issues such as user management, resource monitoring, and virtual machines management in corporate environments.
Person in charge
Rene Serral Gracià (
Leonidas Kosmidis (
Xavier Martorell Bofill (
Common technical competencies
CT2 - To use properly theories, procedures and tools in the professional development of the informatics engineering in all its fields (specification, design, implementation, deployment and products evaluation) demonstrating the comprehension of the adopted compromises in the design decisions.
- To design, develop, select and evaluate computer applications, systems and services and, at the same time, ensure its reliability, security and quality in function of ethical principles and the current legislation and normative.
- To design and evaluate person-computer interfaces which guarantee the accessibility and usability of computer systems, services and applications.
CT3 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the organizational, economic and legal context where her work is developed (proper knowledge about the company concept, the institutional and legal framework of the company and its organization and management)
- To demonstrate knowledge about the ethical dimension of the company: in general, the social and corporative responsibility and, concretely, the civil and professional responsibilities of the informatics engineer.
CT6 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension about the internal operation of a computer and about the operation of communications between computers.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to manage and maintain computer systems, services and applications.
- To demonstrate knowledge about the characteristics, functionalities and structure of the Operating Systems allowing an adequate use, management and design, as well as the implementation of applications based on its services.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the characteristics, functionalities and structure of the Distributed Systems and Computer and Internet Networks guaranteeing its use and management, as well as the design and implementation of application based on them.
CT7 - To evaluate and select hardware and software production platforms for executing applications and computer services.
- To evaluate hardware/software systems in function of a determined criteria of quality.
- To determine the factors that affect negatively the security and reliability of a hardware/software system, and minimize its effects.
CT8 - To plan, conceive, deploy and manage computer projects, services and systems in every field, to lead the start-up, the continuous improvement and to value the economical and social impact.
- To elaborate the list of technical conditions for a computers installation fulfilling all the current standards and normative.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
Information technology specialization
CTI1 - To define, plan and manage the installation of the ICT infrastructure of the organization.
- To demonstrate understanding the environment of an organization and its needs in the field of the information and communication technologies.
- To select, design, deploy, integrate and manage communication networks and infrastructures in a organization.
- To select, design, deploy, integrate, evaluate, build, manage, exploit and maintain the hardware, software and network technologies, according to the adequate cost and quality parameters.
CTI2 - To guarantee that the ICT systems of an organization operate adequately, are secure and adequately installed, documented, personalized, maintained, updated and substituted, and the people of the organization receive a correct ICT support.
- To administrate and maintain applications, computer systems and computer networks (the knowledge and comprehension levels are described in the common technical competences).
CTI4 - To use methodologies centred on the user and the organization to develop, evaluate and manage applications and systems based on the information technologies which ensure the accessibility, ergonomics and usability of the systems.
G7 [Avaluable] - To detect deficiencies in the own knowledge and overcome them through critical reflection and choosing the best actuation to extend this knowledge. Capacity for learning new methods and technologies, and versatility to adapt oneself to new situations.
- Autonomous learning: capacity to plan and organize personal work. To apply the acquired knowledge when performing a task, in function of its suitability and importance, decide how to perform it and the needed time, and select the most adequate information sources. To identify the importance of establishing and maintaining contacts with students, teacher staff and professionals (networking). To identify information forums about ICT engineering, its advances and its impact in the society (IEEE, associations, etc.).
Knowledge about the system administrator, with his/her responsibilities and tasks.
Know about the ethics code of the system administrator.
Know about the current laws related to system administration.
Learn how to prepare a basic list of technical conditions for a computers installation.
Learn to prepare an installation of the operating system, perform the installation, and the post-installation.
Know the steps needed to boot the operating system.
Basic configuration of the network.
Learn how to configure the basic files of the operating system.
Manage user accounts, add users, modify users, get information on users, deactivate users, and remove users.
Know about the structure and manage the data bases containing the information about the users of the system.
Use and modify the permissions and protection mechanims offered by the operating systems on devices and files.
Know about and use the privilege level and its support tools.
L'estudiant participa activament en la sessió de teoria, treballant en grup en les activitats proposades i comentant les solucions a les que cada grup ha arribat a tota la classe. A la sessió de laboratori, l'estudiant realitza la planificació del sistema que usarà durant la resta del curs i fa la instal.lació bàsica del sistema operatiu, incloent la post-instal.lació.
Theory: Operating system installation
Laboratory: Laboratory session on operating system installation
Autonomous learning: Finding information on methods for sizing the installation of the system
L'estudiant participa activament a la sessió d'explicació teòrica treballant en grup els processos de donar d'alta i donar de baixa un usuari, i l'ús de les proteccions a nivell de fitxer i directori per implementar confidencialitat. Realitzarà un informe sobre les eines habituals per manipular les proteccions sobre els recursos i/o les comandes relacionades amb la gestió d'usuaris.
Theory: Work on user management in the operating system, and discussions about alternatives to add and remove users, and protection mechanisms to consider.
Laboratory: Practical application of theoretical concepts to effectively manage the users present in a system
Autonomous learning: The student will present a report about the usual tools for manipulating the protections on resources and / or commands relating to user management
L'estudiant participa activament a la sessió d'explicació teòrica treballant en grup sobre les diferents tècniques d'instal.lació d'aplicacions en un sistema operatiu. Realitzarà un informe sobre les eines habituals que ens ajuden a compilar, instal.lar i gestionar aplicacions.
Theory: Work on installing applications, and discussions about the different ways of distributing software.
Laboratory: Install different types of applications from source code and binary. Develop scripts to support application management.
Guided learning: Support on the elaboration of the course reports
Autonomous learning: Report on the common tools that help us to compile, install and manage applications
This test assesses the knowledge and practice gained in the first 3 topics of the course. It consists of a written exam, done in a theory class. Objectives:12453 Week:
The student participates actively in the session through group discussions, about the different monitoring techniques on system resources. Prepare a monitoring report on the monitoring support offered by operating systems.
Theory: Resources to monitor and techniques useful for monitoring
Laboratory: Use monitoring tools while performing different administration tasks
Guided learning: Discussion on the solution to the first partial exam
Autonomous learning: Find new applications for system monitoring, install them and make a report on their advantages
The student participates actively in the session working in groups regarding the appropriate tasks to be performed periodically and techniques available to schedule them. He/she writes a report on systems to support virtualization.
Theory: Work on local services and virtualization
Laboratory: Scheduling periodic tasks
Guided learning: Visit to the Marenostrum supercomputer, focussing on installation and administration of the machine
Autonomous learning: Installation of virtualized operating systems
This test assesses the knowledge and practice acquired in the first nine weeks of the course, including topics 1 to 7. Objectives:124536789 Week:
Management of network services
The student participates actively in group discussions on the proper configuration of network services. He/she writes a report on the available servers for a number of proposed services and the advantages that each one offers.
Theory: Network services
Laboratory: Configuration of network services
Guided learning: Discussion on the solution to the second partial exam
Autonomous learning: Installation of network servers, and writing of the report on advantages of each one
This partial exam evaluates the knowledge and practice acquired during the course. Objectives:1245367891011 Week:
In this exam, students solve practical problems related with all course subjects, individually. You can have books and notes. Objectives:1245367891011 Week:
For those students that would need to reach the minimum level of the course or those that want to raise their marks, this examination will be hold after the period of the classes Objectives:1245367891011 Week:
15 (Outside class hours) Type:
The teacher explains the basic issues in the theory sessions, while opens discussions among and with the students on various topics. Each theory session includes the proposal of several issues related to the class, for students to work on them independently on their own.
The laboratory sessions follow an evolving line, based on the installation of the operating system and applications for users on it. The lab sessions are based on the well-defined lab book, and the teacher performs the necessary support to students, which functions similar to a senior manager training to novel and junior administrators.
The autonomous learning competence is evaluated based on the reports delivered by the student during the course. Its weight is 10% on the final mark.
The technical competences are evaluated based on the theory (40%) and the laboratory exam (50%).
The theory gets evaluated based on the partial and the final exams. The mark of the 3 partial exams is computed as the averaged mean of the 3 tests, with the following weights: 25, 25, and 50%. If this mark is equal or larger than 5.0, attending the final exam is optional.
In case a student attends the final exam, his/her theory mark will be the highest between the mark obtained in the final exam and the averaged mean of the partial exams.
- Resources, components and basic architecture of computers - Basics of operating systems - Basics of the user-level environment of the operating system: shell commands and basic graphical environment - elements that make up the network environment - Basic network protocols and their relationship with the operating system
NO HI HA CANVIS RESPECTE LA INFORMACIÓ PUBLICADA A LA GUIA DOCENT
L'unic canvi causat per la situació d'excepcionalitat és que el laboratori es realitzarà de forma no presencial. Però tant els continguts com l'avaluació no es veu afectada per aquest fet.
L'avaluació no canvia des del punt de vista de percentatges, però l'examen de laboratori es farà remotament.
En el cas que la situació d'excepcionalitat ens obligui a fer tota la docència online, en aquest cas tant els exàmens parcials com el final es faran no presencialment amb les mateixes ponderacions.
Where we are
B6 Building Campus Nord
C/Jordi Girona Salgado,1-3
08034 BARCELONA Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 401 70 00