Introduction to basic concepts of computer security that all graduates should know to do their job without compromising computer systems that manage or program, or their users.
Are also some practical tools that can be used to protect or systems to detect programming errors or configuration may endanger that in case of attack.
Person in charge
Manel Medina Llinàs (
Beatriz Otero Calviño (
Francisco Jordan Fernández (
Jaime M. Delgado Merce (
Common technical competencies
CT6 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension about the internal operation of a computer and about the operation of communications between computers.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the characteristics, functionalities and structure of the Distributed Systems and Computer and Internet Networks guaranteeing its use and management, as well as the design and implementation of application based on them.
CT7 - To evaluate and select hardware and software production platforms for executing applications and computer services.
- To demonstrate knowledge about metrics of quality and be able to use them.
- To evaluate hardware/software systems in function of a determined criteria of quality.
- To determine the factors that affect negatively the security and reliability of a hardware/software system, and minimize its effects.
CT8 - To plan, conceive, deploy and manage computer projects, services and systems in every field, to lead the start-up, the continuous improvement and to value the economical and social impact.
- To identify current and emerging technologies and evaluate if they are applicable, to satisfy the users needs.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
Information technology specialization
CTI1 - To define, plan and manage the installation of the ICT infrastructure of the organization.
- To demonstrate understanding the environment of an organization and its needs in the field of the information and communication technologies.
- To select, design, deploy, integrate and manage communication networks and infrastructures in a organization.
- To select, deploy, integrate and manage information system which satisfy the organization needs with the identified cost and quality criteria.
CTI2 - To guarantee that the ICT systems of an organization operate adequately, are secure and adequately installed, documented, personalized, maintained, updated and substituted, and the people of the organization receive a correct ICT support.
- To demonstrate comprehension, apply and manage the reliability and security of the computer systems (CEI C6).
CTI3 - To design solutions which integrate hardware, software and communication technologies (and capacity to develop specific solutions of systems software) for distributed systems and ubiquitous computation devices.
- To conceive systems, applications and services based on network technologies, taking into account Internet, web, electronic commerce, multimedia, interactive services and ubiquitous computation.
Solvent use of the information resources
G6 - To manage the acquisition, structuring, analysis and visualization of data and information of the field of the informatics engineering, and value in a critical way the results of this management.
- To plan and use the necessary information for an academic essay (for example, the final project of the grade) using critical reflection about the used information resources. To manage information in a competent, independent and autonomous way. To evaluate the found information and identify its deficiencies.
Being able to understand the threats and security risks of computer systems.
Being able to understand the general ideas of the legal implications of computer security.
Being able to analyze malicious code such as viruses, Trojans, etc..
Being able to understand and identify mechanisms for access control of an operating system.
Knowing the problems of security in computer networks and be able to find solutions to protect them.
Being able to design firewall and virtual private networks.
Being able to understand the operation of intrusion detection systems.
This course should give an overview and a technical view of the problems and possible solutions to computer systems and networks security. For this reason, it covers many topics and has a great descriptive component.
However, the teaching methodology will use examples and problems for introducing the concepts to which students attain the necessary skills. Also, we will try to encourage interactivity with students considering real situations in class to discuss possible solutions.
Moreover, the laboratory will complete the skills and knowledge acquired in theory / problems class.
Theory (70%) - Laboratory (25%) - Generic competence (5%).
The laboratory mark is obtained from the grades of each practice (50%) and the laboratory final exam (50%), but taking into account that
the practices, which can be done either at the lab or at home, are mandatory in order to do the laboratory exam.
The theory grade will be the average of three course exams (ET1, ET2 and ET3). In other words, the theory grade will be NT = (ET1+ET2+ET3)/3.
The grade for the generic competence is obtained from the evaluation of the activity "Bibliographic Internet Research and analysis".