Overall, the course is aimed at understanding the importance of compression, such as before storing or transmitting data, to distinguish between lossless or lossy compression and acquire criteria to decide which one to use in each case, and to become familiar with the corresponding algorithmic and computational aspects.
Person in charge
Fernando Martínez Sáez (
Jordi Quer Bosor (
Common technical competencies
CT1 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to informatics and their disciplines of reference.
- To interpret, select and value concepts, theories, uses and technological developments related to computer science and its application derived from the needed fundamentals of mathematics, statistics and physics. Capacity to solve the mathematical problems presented in engineering. Talent to apply the knowledge about: algebra, differential and integral calculus and numeric methods; statistics and optimization.
- To use properly theories, procedures and tools in the professional development of the informatics engineering in all its fields (specification, design, implementation, deployment and products evaluation) demonstrating the comprehension of the adopted compromises in the design decisions.
CT4 - To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the basic algorithmic procedures of the computer science technologies to design solutions for problems, analysing the suitability and complexity of the algorithms.
- To identify the most adequate algorithmic solutions to solve medium difficulty problems.
- To reason about the correction and efficiency of an algorithmic solution.
CT5 - To analyse, design, build and maintain applications in a robust, secure and efficient way, choosing the most adequate paradigm and programming languages.
- To know, design and use efficiently the most adequate data types and data structures to solve a problem.
- To design, write, test, refine, document and maintain code in an high level programming language to solve programming problems applying algorithmic schemas and using data structures.
- To design the programs¿ architecture using techniques of object orientation, modularization and specification and implementation of abstract data types.
- To use the tools of a software development environment to create and develop applications.
G9 [Avaluable] - Capacity of critical, logical and mathematical reasoning. Capacity to solve problems in her study area. Abstraction capacity: capacity to create and use models that reflect real situations. Capacity to design and perform simple experiments and analyse and interpret its results. Analysis, synthesis and evaluation capacity.
- Critical, logical and mathematical reasoning capacity. Capacity to understand abstraction and use it properly.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
Computer science specialization
CCO1 - To have an in-depth knowledge about the fundamental principles and computations models and be able to apply them to interpret, select, value, model and create new concepts, theories, uses and technological developments, related to informatics.
- To evaluate the computational complexity of a problem, know the algorithmic strategies which can solve it and recommend, develop and implement the solution which guarantees the best performance according to the established requirements.
- To demonstrate knowledge about the theoretical fundamentals of programming languages and the associated lexical, syntactical and semantic processing techniques and be able to apply them to create, design and process languages.
To understand what is lossless compression, the circumstancies in which it is applicable, and the most important methods to achieve it.