This subject is about the application level of computer networks and distributed applications, including mobile devices applications.
Specifically, HTTP protocol based applications and services will be shown together with other application level protocols. It will also discuss the representation and interchange of multimedia content (audio, video, etc.) using streaming and download and information interchange in social networks.
Security mechanisms at application level will be also discussed.
Finally, mobile applications development will be described.
Person in charge
Silvia Llorente Viejo (
Jaime M. Delgado Merce (
Common technical competencies
CT6 - To demonstrate knowledge and comprehension about the internal operation of a computer and about the operation of communications between computers.
- To demonstrate knowledge and capacity to apply the characteristics, functionalities and structure of the Distributed Systems and Computer and Internet Networks guaranteeing its use and management, as well as the design and implementation of application based on them.
CT7 - To evaluate and select hardware and software production platforms for executing applications and computer services.
- To evaluate hardware/software systems in function of a determined criteria of quality.
CT8 - To plan, conceive, deploy and manage computer projects, services and systems in every field, to lead the start-up, the continuous improvement and to value the economical and social impact.
- To identify current and emerging technologies and evaluate if they are applicable, to satisfy the users needs.
- To elaborate the list of technical conditions for a computers installation fulfilling all the current standards and normative.
Technical Competences of each Specialization
Information technology specialization
CTI1 - To define, plan and manage the installation of the ICT infrastructure of the organization.
- To select, design, deploy, integrate, evaluate, build, manage, exploit and maintain the hardware, software and network technologies, according to the adequate cost and quality parameters.
CTI2 - To guarantee that the ICT systems of an organization operate adequately, are secure and adequately installed, documented, personalized, maintained, updated and substituted, and the people of the organization receive a correct ICT support.
- To manage, plan and coordinate the management of the computers infrastructure: hardware, software, networks and communications.
CTI3 - To design solutions which integrate hardware, software and communication technologies (and capacity to develop specific solutions of systems software) for distributed systems and ubiquitous computation devices.
- To conceive systems, applications and services based on network technologies, taking into account Internet, web, electronic commerce, multimedia, interactive services and ubiquitous computation.
- To implement and manage ubiquitous systems (mobile computing systems).
- To design, establish and configure networks and services.
CTI4 - To use methodologies centred on the user and the organization to develop, evaluate and manage applications and systems based on the information technologies which ensure the accessibility, ergonomics and usability of the systems.
Entrepreneurship and innovation
G1 - To know and understand the organization of a company and the sciences which govern its activity; capacity to understand the labour rules and the relation between planning, industrial and business strategies, quality and benefit. To develop creativity, entrepreneur spirit and innovation tendency.
- To have strong decision-making skills. To use knowledge and strategic skills for the creation and management of projects, apply systematic solutions to complex problems, and design and manage the innovation in the organization. To demonstrate flexibility and professionalism when developing her work.
Appropiate attitude towards work
G8 - To have motivation to be professional and to face new challenges, have a width vision of the possibilities of the career in the field of informatics engineering. To feel motivated for the quality and the continuous improvement, and behave rigorously in the professional development. Capacity to adapt oneself to organizational or technological changes. Capacity to work in situations with information shortage and/or time and/or resources restrictions.
- To be motivated for the professional development, to face new challenges and the continuous improvement. To have capacity to work in situations with a lack of information.
Being able to predict the performance of protocols and interpret the content of messages that use web applications
Being able to interpret the XML documents interchanged web services.
Being able to configure an application server and launch a web application.
Being able to interpret the data interchanged between distributed applications.
Being able to configure an application server and implement web services.
Being able to configure an application server and implement web applications that make use of Web services.
Being able to describe existing formats of information and explain its normal use .
Being able to describe the client / server paradigm and give examples of protocols that follow it.
Be able to explain what a communications library is and give examples of existing libraries.
Be able to explain what an application server is and give examples of existing application servers.
Being able to describe at a high level specific characteristics of mobile applications.
Control of 2 hours long. Evaluated the content of topics 1. Introduction 2. Development of applications and services based on HTTP, 3. Representation and exchange of contents. Objectives:14789101618 Week:
Lab interviews (In the lab)
Explanation of work done in practice "Developing web applications that make use of Web services"
Interviews to evaluate the lab sessions "Desarrollo web applications that use Web services" Objectives:1417 Week:
Subject explanation: Security in distributed applications
Understanding of the different security mechanisms that can be used at application level, such as digital signature, encryption, symmetric and asymmetric keys, privacy or authentication Objectives:12419 Contents:
Control of 2 hours duration. Evaluated the content of topics 4. Transmission systems and distribution of multimedia content, 5. Security in distributed applications, 6. Programming of distributed applications with mobile devices Objectives:123456810121319 Week:
The course consists of lectures and laboratory. In the lectures, the professor will introduce the concepts necessary to do the practice and raise issues and cases related to the subject. The student will have a collection of problems to be solved in class.
The laboratory is an important part of the course, as students will achieve the theoretical concepts from a more practical side of nature. Students will practice the statement before attending the laboratory. The statements will be posted on the website of the course. For each practice, there will be a short theoretical explanation and a dash of each practice. The lab sessions are scheduled to be made face after seeing the concepts in the lectures. If not, there will be a brief explanation to the laboratory for proper operation. Students must prepare in practice, reviewing the related theoretical concepts before the lab session.
NF = Note the end of the course.
EF1 = Final Theory exam, first part, same subjects as C1.
EF2 = Final Theory exam, second part, same subjects as C2.
C1 = First Theory Control.
C2 = Second Theory Control.
NL = Laboratory. Will be calculated based on the average of the practices delivery (50%) and the practices reports and interviews (50%).
Technical competences are evaluated in the laboratory and their value correspons to the 40% of the total mark of the subject. Moreover, the generic competence marks will be extracted from some laboratory activities, as described next.
The generic competence Empreneduria i Innovació will be evaluated in the exploratory practice.
The generic competence Actitud Adequada Davant el Treball will be evaluated at the practice interviews.
Generic competences evaluation: They can have values A, B, C or D (where A corresponds to an excellent standard, B corresponds to a desired level, C corresponds to a sufficient level and D corresponds to a level not achieved).
- Advanced knowledge in Java programming language.
- HTML knowledge is not required, but it will be used the whole course.
- How to read English technical documentation, manuals and standards.
- Basic knowledge of computer networks: protocols and transport network level, application-level funcions, specially HTTP protocol.
- Basic knowledge of operating systems: user-level UNIX, Windows user-level, organization of an OS, drivers, processes, communication processes, data structures.
Català: No hi ha canvis.
Castellano: Sin cambios.
English: Without changes.
Català: No hi ha canvis, excepte que els laboratoris no seran presencials i s'hauran de fer per sessions de meet.
Castellano: Sin cambios, excepto que los laboratorios no serán presenciales y se tendrán que hacer por sesiones de meet.
English: Without changes, except that lab classes will not be face-to-face and will have to be done by meet sessions.
Català: No hi ha canvis.
Castellano: Sin cambios.
English: Without changes.
Català: En cas que no es pugui tenir presencialitat a les classes de teoria, es faran també per sessions de meet.
Castellano: En caso de que no se pueda tener presencialidad en las clases de teoría, ser harán también por sesiones de meet.
English: In case that theory classes cannot be face-to-face, they will be done by meet sessions.
Where we are
B6 Building Campus Nord
C/Jordi Girona Salgado,1-3
08034 BARCELONA Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 401 70 00